I keep fiddling around with this basic theme, and I’m not sure if I’ve gotten there yet, but this one is pretty darn good. We love barbeque in general, but it’s also fun to push the boundaries a little.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup beer (amber ale works well)
- 2 Tb. Sambal
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- Place chicken in a gallon plastic bag. Mix remaining ingredients except ketchup an honey and pour over chicken. Toss to coat and marinate for at least two hours.
- Remove chicken from bag and reserve marinade. Grill chicken using indirect grilling.
- Meanwhile, combine reserved marinade, ketchup, and honey in a small stockpot and simmer. Reduce to about half, until a sticky consistency is reached.
- Brush chicken with sauce and cook until it ‘sets.’ I also like to give it a little burn over direct heat.