We saw a recipe for “sweet cheeks” chili in a little flyer that came with a seasonal 12-pack of Leinenkugel’s and decided that we’d give it a shot. We started tweaking it, and before long, we had a totally new recipe. Kristine and I agreed that it was the best we’ve ever made and would probably be the foundation for a future chili cook-off competition!
Please note – the ingredients and measurements are from memory, and generally assume that you already know how to cook.
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. of beef stew meat, cut to 1/2″ cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 1/2 T. parsley, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bottle Leinenkugel’s Creamy Dark (or other dark lager)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 small onions, diced fine
- 1 each green, red, and orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, diced fine
- 1 T each dried oregano and thyme
- 2 tsp. Goya Adobo seasoning
- 1 can each of black and red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can of chili beans, not drained
- 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese and cilantro, to garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, mix beef in oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss with hands to coat well. Cover and marinate, from one hour to overnight.
- Heat small amount of oil in a pressure cooker. Brown beef on all sides in pressure cooker, add beer and tomato sauce (and a little water, if needed, so that beef is completely submerged). Cook at full pressure for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions, celery, and peppers until softened. Season with salt, pepper, Goya, and herbs.
- Depressurize cooker and uncover. Add in beans, tomatoes, cocoa, and sauteed onions and peppers. Mix thoroughly, taste and adjust seasonings. Lower heat and simmer for as long as you can stand it.
- Serve topped with cheese and cilantro.
- 1/2 to 1 T. Hershey’s cocoa powder
- 2 stalks celery, diced