Here is a dish that we made from ingredients on hand. In this case, “we” refers not to me and Kristine, but me and Bubba Jack! He loves to help out when we cook, and he added all of my ingredients to the pan for me, including the fresh pepper. He’s also learning how to best present food – he was insistent on a garnish!
Do not be fooled, however. Although he was eager to help cook this one, he had no desire whatsoever to taste it.
- 8 oz. whole-wheat penne
- 1 tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 Fresno chile, diced
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli spears, steamed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare to cook pasta. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in large saute pan and add carrots and peppers. Saute for two minutes, until carrot begins to soften. Add lemon and garlic and reduce heat to medium – saute for a minute or two, but do not let garlic brown. And please remember to use salt during all of this!
- Add in wine and toss pan. Add mushrooms and broccoli and stir to coat. Cook for two minutes or so, until broccoli begins to soften. When pasta is al dente, drain and add to pan. Toss to coat and add basil. Toss and cook briefly. Add Parmesan and toss to coat. Add fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve in a large bowl, topped with additional Parmesan cheese and garnished with a basil leaf, if so desired.