OK, so this one isn’t so “fru-fru,” but it’s just good ol’ fashion PWT food. We absolutely destroyed this loaf! We remembered meatloaf being boring, but with a few ‘updates,’ this old tried-and-true dish can be pretty exciting again.
Serve with scalloped potatoes and some green beans. (And don’t use a box or a can).
- 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef (lean will do)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-4 carrots, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbls. each fresh parsley and thyme, finely chopped
For the glaze (courtesy of Alton Brown)
- 1/2 cup catsup (or ketchup, whichever you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the meatloaf by hand. In a separate bowl, mix ingredients for glaze
- Grease a bread loaf pan; pour in meat mixture and shape into loaf. Spread about 1/3 of the glaze on top of the loaf
- Bake at 350F for about 1 hour to 90 minutes. Baste with remaining glaze twice during cooking.