Living in Texas, it’s hard to eat fish and seafood as often as we did in Louisiana (of course, $3/lb ribeyes are hard to pass up…). This is a very, very easy dish to make, especially if you cheat and use store-bought pesto.
- 4 6 oz. cod filets
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup pesto (preferably home made – see recipe below)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Lay out fish filets on a greased baking sheet; dust with salt and pepper
- Mix pesto and panko; spread evenly on top of filets to make a crust
- Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes or so (until fish flakes easily)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (we grow it, and you should too)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbls. pine nuts (or walnuts, if you’re cheap and your grocery store doesnt’ have a bulk food section)
- 1 tsp salt
- ~2/3 cup of good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice, to taste
- 4 to 5 Tbls good grated parmesean cheese (not that Kraft stuff in the shaker)
- Blitz basil, nuts, garlic, and salt in a food processor until finely chopped
- Drizzle in olive oil until a pleasing consistency is reached; add lemon juice
- Mix in cheese; add olive oil as needed to achieve proper consistency
Serve with risotto and steamed mixed vegetables.
Beer Pairing: Estella Damm or other European lager.